Dog

Dog
MOLLY!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Yes, the title of this post is pretty weird. But it's actually a movie I watched today. I thought I would share my critique with you all. The movie was made in the 50's, so watch out!!
I will be critiquing the movie in the following categories:
  • Plot
  • Characters
  • Reality Factor
  • Fun to watch
  • Escape Reality
These categories may sound weird, but just read on and they'll hopefully make more sense.

  • Plot: This movie started out in a hospital. A father and son doctor team were preforming surgery. The son doctor likes to play by his own rules, and saves the surgery. After the surgery is over, the son's girlfriend runs into the room congratulating him on a successful surgery. They then hop into the car and rush off to the house in the country side where he and his colleague secretly preform organ and body part transplants. But not successfully. On the way there the son drives extremely recklessly, causing their car to drive off the road and spontaneously com bust. Somehow the girl friend get her head taken off, and her boyfriend saves it and brings it back to his secret lab, where he makes her come back to life, but without the rest of her body! Her boyfriend then goes back into town trying to find her a suitable body. She on the other hand toils away the days in the lab. She befriends the mysterious monster that is locked in the closet and they plot revenge. They manage to kill his colleague and when he comes home with a girl he is going to amputate her head so he can get the body. But the monster escapes! The monster kills the man and saves the woman who was going to lose her head. All in all it was a pretty good movie. I think they didn't have to take so long to introduce some characters. For instance, when they introduced one of the girls he was going to try to get the head of, they showed her being photographed in a swimsuit for about 45 seconds. Not very exciting.
  • Characters: I thought the acting in this movie was great. It starred Herb Evers, Virginia Leith, and Leslie Daniel. They all were great actors who worked very well with each other. I especially like how good the woman who lost her body was. I think she mastered her evil cackle very well.
  • Reality Factor: This category means "How real does it seem"obviously. I think it was very true to the time it was filmed. A great example of this would be people smoking in a Hospital. I don't think that would go over too well nowadays. Also, I thought the costuming was good. I liked the girls' skirts. Not that that matters much :).
  • Fun to Watch: Definently! I thought it was a great film. It was ridiculous at some parts, like all old movies are.But for the most part it was very fun to watch. And like most good movies, you don't want to stop watching it. It was a little bit long,, but besides that, it was amazing.
  • Escape Reality: I thought this movie helped me "escape reality". It me think about something else besides all of the things going on in my life right now. It was a very captivating film.
Now I have a few more notes that I thought I might include. I am pretty upfront about my opinions in these.
  1. I think I could have done without the overly dramatic beginning. (Dark screen, scary music, women screaming, etc.)
  2. BAD special effects. The fire looked silly. I think my favorite that made me laugh the most was the brain they tried to make. It looked like it had been made with a jello mold.
  3. There were also bad stunts.
  4. They ended the movie with the words: The HEAD that wouldn't die. Hey- I thought it was the BRAIN that wouldn't die!! :)
So that's what I thought of this silly horror movie. Youtube it! You may very well find it.

2 comments:

  1. You are the best blogger I have ever read! You are too funny! I really enjoyed your movie review, I found it very insightful. I may have to check out the brain that wouldn't die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so few who truly appreciate art for what it is; the total expression of one's vision. I can only say thank you for this review. You exhibit the sophistication of a renaissance person. Kudos to you for this wonderful critique. Toodles

    ReplyDelete